Friday, August 3, 2012

Commentary on "Public Transportation in Austin"

     Although I have not attempted to use public transportation here in Austin more than a couple of times, I can agree that the system is in need of major reform.  In my experience, although minimal, using public transportation was much more of a headache than a convenience, and I felt very uncertain as to whether or not I had gotten on the correct bus and which stop it was that I was supposed to get off at. Christopher Pelletier’s analogy in his editorial, “Public Transportation in Austin”, comparing the colorful lines on the bus route map to an abstract painting is genius, I believe, because it is sadly quite accurate. He’s correct in saying that “the population of Austin has outgrown the city’s infrastructure”, as it is terribly evident every single morning and afternoon in rush hour traffic. I may not have had much experience with the public transportation system, but I have spent more than enough time sitting in a traffic jam in the middle of IH-35. Furthermore, not only does IH-35 get clogged every morning and afternoon, but Hwy 183, and Loop 1/Mopac as well.

     There really is no way to avoid traffic in the city as the infrastructure stands right now, but a possible solution, as Chris mentioned, would be integrating an underground rail system such as those that work so well in New York City, Washington D.C., and many other major cities across America. I’ve had a fair amount of experience navigating those systems, and not only are they convenient and easy to figure out, but fun and speedy as well.

     When will city officials finally realize that this is what we need, rather than a Metrorail that hardly takes us anywhere? I don’t know, but I hope that the time comes soon so that we can avoid a “colossal and expensive complete overhaul”, as Pelletier put it.

No comments: